Sunday, January 30, 2011

Can You Believe It?

I went to the movies again...

 The Kings Speech

I should start by saying I love Colin Firth and in my eyes he can do no wrong. I was obsessed with A Single Man, loved Love Actually and do we really need to mention Pride and Prejudice… so maybe this will be a little biased but I’ll try not to be.

By now I would say most people with slight interest in cinema have heard about his film, the awards have been piling up and I’m sure there will be more to come. The film takes place from 1925 up until 1939 and centers around King George VI and the man who helped him overcome his stammer.

All performances deserve praise, Colin Firth is perfect as the vulnerable King and Helena Bonham Carter is wonderful as his caring other half. Geoffrey Rush is once again terrific as speech therapist Lionel Logue, and proves he is one of the greatest character actors around. However, I mustn't overlook Guy Pearce who reminds us of the brilliance that is his acting ability (remember Memento??).

The acting aside this film is flawless. The music, set design and costumes work together perfectly to bring the audience into the story. I left the theatre feeling completely satisfied and uplifted, and I didn’t even have a choc top.

People take note, come Oscar night I have no doubt Colin Firth will deliver a stammer less acceptance speech.

1 comment:

  1. remember Guy Pearce in Dating the Enemy? what a stellar film!

    ReplyDelete