Saturday, January 29, 2011

Black Swan


OK… I really think there should be some sort of warning about this film.

It really freaked me out. Scared the bajeez out of me, and i'm not sure what else to say…

Black Swan follows Nina and her quest to be the perfect ballerina. Nina has worked very hard to please her overbearing mother (Barbara Hershey) and her demanding company director (Vincent Cassel) , and things just go downhill when she is chosen as the lead for a new production of Swan Lake.

Darren Aronofsky's last film was The Wrestler which received lots of acclaim left me with mixed feelings, and this is exactly how I also feel about Black Swan.

Natalie Portman is terrific as the tortured Nina. The film is also very sharp, creating an unnerving amount of tension and anticipation. However I'm not sure what, but something was missing, possibly the supporting casts character developments but then again i'm not sure if that would have been necessary?! So really the more I think about it, this film was a very intriguing exploration of the human mind and the idea of passion vs madness.

It is definitely worth a look, but be warned it is not a happy two hours and is not particularly enjoyable in the traditional sense.

Also, I think Natalie Portman will win the Oscar this year.. and I will continue to have nightmares.

No comments:

Post a Comment