Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Eat, Pray, Bored

I must admit to the dismay of my sister I loved the book Eat, Pray, Love by Elizabeth Gilbert. The idea of escaping a mundane life and taking an around the world trip of self discovery is a very inviting idea to me. So you can imagine my delight when hearing this book was to be adapter into a film, starring rom-com queen Julia Roberts and spanish heart throb Javier Bardem.

The premise of the story (for those who live under a house of rocks) is 30 something Liz leaves two unhappy relationships behind to travel abroad to find food, faith, love and herself. This story had box office gold slapped across it, however somehow I was left utterly disappointed.

The Italian food sequences had my interest however after Italy then came India, Indonesia and I I I just didn't care for the selfish and irrational behaviour of the leading lady. This film in my opinion faltered due to its desire to please the fans of the novel, everything was touch on which didn't really allow for scene or even character development. One minute she was in love and the next inexplicably out of it, having read the book i could fill in the gaps but my cinema companion had not and was left confused and uninterested by a simple subject matter.

So in my views, don't waste the $15 dollars instead by the book and let your imagination play out the story for you. Sorry Julia.

No comments:

Post a Comment